Sewing Mends the Soul


I have been "mum" for the last three years and "mum" the label I am most proud to wear. I have two amazing people who now call me mum and I couldn't be more blessed. My eldest, Olivia Monroe, is now 3 and her sister, Evelyn Poppy, recently turned 6 months.

While pregnant with Miss. Evy-Pop, we came to learn that she had an undefined mass near her lung. The journey through unknowns, mishaps, misunderstandings and hard decisions required some sort of anchor for this mum. My OB half-jokingly suggested scrap booking. I am terrible at paper crafts (read: all crafts), but the suggestion did remind me just how much I did enjoy sewing. Several years prior, I had completed several quilted projects and home decor.

So I pulled out the little Janome SUV 1100 that was tucked away in the basement. I found 1 lonely bobbin and some thread. I asked some crafty friends about any local sewing groups for motivation and learned about Sewing a Rae of Sunshine. I gathered a group of expecting mums together and we learnt how to sew an Alley Cat Romper for our daughters with the support of Maryam (Made By Rydz).


I brought the little romper home and my eldest hopped around around our home in completely elated that her mum had made her a little outfit. More, she could dress her independent little self. This little face sealed the deal. My love for textiles, results-oriented personality was already dreaming about future projects to complete for our family.

It has been about 10 months now since, and the children have nearly an exclusively me-made wardrobe and I have a healthy collection of garments in my own closet.

Thank you Poppy Monroe for mending this mum's soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing My Way through Christmas!

Sew Ottawa! HST Week 9 [HST Sew-a-long 2018 10/18]

Sew Ottawa! HST Week 10 [HST Sew-a-long 2018 11/18]